Here’s a quick list of things I’m checking before the next Google update in June. This update focuses on user experience, and Google is looking for enjoyable and safe sites to use.
1. Test your site for mobile friendliness https://search.google.com/test/mobile-friendly This will tell you if your site passes the test with recommendations.
2. Check you’re not using pop-ups that block the content of your page. Google will start penalising sites that block the whole page with huge pop-ups. Use smaller pop-ups or banners; yep! Your cookie notice is still okay.
3. Test your site for speed here https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/
If you have anything in red, you should get that looked at. Your site should load in about 2.5 seconds.
4. Is your website safe? Does your website have malware, phishing or hacked content? You can run a quick check by going here https://sitecheck.sucuri.net
5. Website Security. Most websites should have the SSL security certificate by now. Check for the padlock in the web address bar. If it shows a security error, you should reach out to your hosting to get a FREE SSL security certificate for your website.
Thanks for reading.